Ten Common Database Design Mistakes

No list of mistakes is ever going to be exhaustive. People (myself included) do a lot of really stupid things, at times, in the name of "getting it done." This list simply reflects the database design mistakes that are currently on my mind, or in some cases, constantly on my mind.

NOTE:
I have done this topic two times before. If you're interested in hearing the podcast version, visit Greg Low's super-excellent SQL Down Under. I also presented a boiled down, ten-minute version at PASS for the Simple-Talk booth. Originally there were ten, then six, and today back to ten. And these aren't exactly the same ten that I started with; these are ten that stand out to me as of today.

Before I start with the list, let me be honest for a minute. I used to have a preacher who made sure to tell us before some sermons that he was preaching to himself as much as he was to the congregation. When I speak, or when I write an article, I have to listen to that tiny little voice in my head that helps filter out my own bad habits, to make sure that I am teaching only the best practices. Hopefully, after reading this article, the little voice in your head will talk to you when you start to stray from what is right in terms of database design practices.

So, the list:
  1. Poor design/planning
  2. Ignoring normalization
  3. Poor naming standards
  4. Lack of documentation
  5. One table to hold all domain values
  6. Using identity/guid columns as your only key
  7. Not using SQL facilities to protect data integrity
  8. Not using stored procedures to access data
  9. Trying to build generic objects
  10. Lack of testing

No comments: